Friday, June 1, 2012

Wedding Craft Challenge

Lighted Table Decoration

Thank you to dollarstorecrafts.com and the Dollar Tree for letting me participate in this contest! This is a super inexpensive way to decorate the tables at any wedding, and it could easily be modified to create a variety of pieces on each table.


Materials and where to get them:
-tissue paper of any color (I used white) - $1 at the dollar tree 
-cylinder glass vase- $1 at the dollar tree
-water - from your faucet
-translucent gems scatter things, I don't really know what they're called- $1 at the dollar tree or a craft store (see pic)
-push/puck light- $1 at the dollar tree. My dollar tree only had two left, so I'm not sure if it's an       everyday item or not. If not, I found mine a long time ago at Home Depot. (see pic)
-glue that sticks to glass- craft store


Instructions:
1) Stack two pieces of tissue paper on top of each other. They can be the same color or two different colors, whatever you like is what's important. I used both white because I have a ton of it at home. 
2) Cut out either squares or circles with a diameter of 1-2 inches. I used circles because I like the rounded tips better.
3) Next, try to pinch the center of a cutout and push the side up together and twist to create a blossom/flower. See images below.

4) Continue to do that will all of your circles/squares. The amount you need will depend on the size of your vase.
5) Next, take your glue and begin to glue your tissue paper flowers onto your vase in a spiral fashion. Note: Do not use hot glue! Lol, I am a newbie to crafting and I tried using hot glue. I did actually get them to sick, but they are not very secure. They could easily come off.
6)Once you have the spiral pattern you like, put colored but translucent gems on the bottom and fill the glass with water! Be careful not to get the tissue paper flowers wet! My pebbles are an amber color because that's what I had on hand. My local dollar tree had blue and green. I also added a flower for more substance. Another thing could be to glue down some artificial flowers to the bottom before you add the pebble and water, that way they just stay floating in the water.


7) Okay, this next step might need to be adjusted for some people. I had some puck lights on hand, and one of them just so happened to be the same size as my vase, so I was able to just sit the vase on top of the light. If this doesn't work for you, gluing a bowl upside to the bottom of the vase could work, and then just set to whole thing over the light, as long as the bowl is big enough to cover the light. It also might be a good idea to spray paint the bowl in a matching wedding color (except the very bottom where the light needs to go through).




Variations:
I like the look of the water with the light underneath, but if you can't find a way to incorporate the puck light underneath the vase, you could skip the water and place the light inside the vase and cover it with the gems scatters.
Another variation to add height is to get two cylindrical vases and glue them bottom to bottom. One the bottom side of a bowl, glue some kind of wedding figurine (like a bride and groom one I found at the dollar tree). Then glue the bowl to one side of the vase so that the figurine is inside of it. Then add tissue paper flowers all the way up so that it spirals like the picture. Then put the gems in the top vase and add the water like before. Place to whole display over the light and it should had some dim lighting for a great table decoration!



Another way to use tissue paper flowers is by gluing them onto a branch to create another nice wedding piece. The branch can be spray painted as well to match the wedding. And you can use hot glue for this project! Hehe. I used an old wine bottle to display these in, but you can find a great narrow vase at the dollar store!


Thank you everyone for taking the time to check out my tutorial! I hope you learned something (like don't use hot glue on glass), and I hope that you can use this for any upcoming weddings or events that you may have! 


No comments:

Post a Comment